|Marilyn Weimar McCabe Hendrick, Class of 1940
Marilyn, after being widowed in 1951 from her first husband, Hebert McCabe, worked for the Red Cross, first at Camp Atterbury & then around the world - Japan, India, Korea (including the POW exchange & with a MASH unit) and finally in Europe, after marrying her second husband, Lt. Col. Harlan W. Hendrick. After his death, she moved back to Shelbyville to raise her son & earned a BA in European History (Cum Laude) in 1979 from IU. A published author, she wrote articles of her Red Cross experiences & a manuscript based on her husband’s diaries from WWII. Public service included Precinct Chairman for 8 years & election to the Shelbyville City Council from 1976-88, 7 years as President. She was President of the Shelby County GOP Club, GOP Women’s Club & GOP Vice-Chairman. She also helped establish the Leadership Academy and was on the Indiana Cities & Towns Executive Board for 4 years. Her honors included the Jaycees’ Good Citizen Award, Zonta Service Award, "Sagamore of the Wabash" from Governor Orr, Business & Professional Women "Woman of the Year" & Marilyn Hendrick Day with a Key to the City. She was a long time member of the 1st Methodist Church, BPW, the Chamber of Commerce & the IU Alumni Association. Former State Representative Steve Moberly, wrote of her, "She broke the glass ceiling for women to successfully gain election to the City Council and was the epitome of a good citizen & public servant".
|Arthur M. Thurston, Class of 1932
Arthur M. Thurston was born in Boulder, Colorado but lived most of his life in Shelby County, IN. He graduated from SHS in 1932 and from Indiana University in 1936. From 1937-1948 Arthur served with the Federal Bureau of Investigation first in the U.S. then as FBI liaison in London, the OSS, a Lieutenant in the U. S. Navy as Naval Intelligence in China and then the Central Intelligence Agency. At the end of WW II, he stayed in Japan serving under General McArthur to reorganize the Japanese Imperial Police Force. In 1949 he was appointed superintendent of the Indiana State Police and left that position in 1952 when he became executive vice president of Farmers National Bank. In 1953 he became president and then chairman of FNB and a director where he stayed until his retirement in 1993. Art was honored as a Sagamore of the Wabash by two separate governors. He was a director of J. O. Parrish Enterprises, a director of the Indianapolis Stock Yard, served as chairman of the Indiana Economic Development Authority and as president of Shelbyville Industrial Development. Through the Blue River Foundation, Art endowed a fund for the preservation of their headquarters, the old Shelby Central Administration Building. In his heart, Art was a farm boy from Indiana. He loved nothing more than being in the fields, observing the seasons in central Indiana.