|Phillip W. Brown, SHS class of 1954
Phil was born and raised in Shelbyville. After SHS, he attended Wabash College and Indiana University, receiving a B.A. degree in 1957. He then married his high school sweetheart and SHS prom queen, Nancy E. Taylor, and enrolled and graduated from the I.U. School of Law, Bloomington, in 1960. At the time of his induction, Phil had practiced law for 54 years, was the senior member of his law firm, and was a well-known mediator, having mediated more than 2,000 cases for courts throughout central Indiana. Professionally, Phil served on the Indiana State Bar Association Board of Governors (1983-84; 1993-94), and the Bar Association honored Phil with a Presidential Citation in 1984, the Cinch Strap Award in 1994, and the Golden Career Award in 2010. Phil was a Master Fellow of the Indiana Bar Foundation and received the Foundation’s 2007 Pro Bono Publico Award. In the public sector, Phil served as Shelby County Prosecuting Attorney (1963-66), as Shelbyville City Attorney (1972-75; 1976-79), and as a Governor’s appointee to the Board of Directors of the Hoosier Alliance Against Drugs (1989-95), the STAR Alliance (1995-97), and the Indiana State Police Board (1982-89). For his service to the State, Phil received two Sagamore of the Wabash Awards, one from a Democrat Governor and one from a Republican Governor. Locally, Phil served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Blue River Community Foundation, the Shelby County Players, and as Chairman of the Planned Giving Committee of the Major Hospital Foundation.
|Charles D. O’Connor, SHS class of 1964
Charles D. O'Conner was born in Utica, New York, and has lived in Shelbyville since 1956. Charles graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1968 and earned his law degree from Indiana University Law School in Indianapolis in 1972. Charles served as captain in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1972 to 1978. He practiced law for four years and became the first County Court judge in 1976. Charles returned to the practice of law from 1978 to 1982 when he was elected as judge of the Shelby Circuit Court, a position he held for over 30 years. Charles has been a member of the boards of the Girls Club, Shelby Red Cross, Shelby County Mental Health Association, Shelby County Division of the Salvation Army, Hospice of Shelby County, Shelby County Domestic Task Force, and the St. Joseph School Commission. Charles has been a member of the St. Joseph Church for over 50 years. He served as a big brother in the Shelby County Big Brother Program. Charles and his wife, Brenda, are the parents of five children and grandparents of five grandchildren.